The Mission and Tasks of the R3TF
The R3TF has a goal to ensure that harmonized, interoperable real-time text (RTT) communication solutions are as readily available as conversational voice in all IP environments.
To reach that goal, the R3TF will act as a centre for advocacy and knowledge exchange in the field of real-time text. It will contribute to the promotion, design and implementation of interoperable real-time text solutions and encourage adoption of real-time text in mainstream products and services.
The R3TF supports the use of different real-time text technologies as long as they adhere to a common interoperability standard. The R3TF will help to achieve this by providing expertise and tools to promote and support the development of such interoperability.
The R3TF will act in the best interest of RTT and its users; we fully believe in working together as a Taskforce with full compliance with Internet and telecommunication standards using mainstream technology to ensure RTT becomes and will remain a mainstream technology for all to use.
The R3TF supports the use of open source and open standards. But also encourages commercial services and deployment of RTT.
Since RTT allows users to have a conversation with the same immediacy and interactivity as a voice conversation, RTT can be used to replace voice in a telephone or VoIP communication if desired by the user(s). The R3TF recognizes that RTT allows people with a hearing or speech disability to communicate without hurdles by being able to "talk using text". The R3TF also sees its role to improve accessibility in Internet and telecommunication for people with disabilities.
Tasks of the R3TF
- To advocate and promote the use of Real-Time Text as a mainstream service including use by people with disabilities.
- To identify user and network needs to ensure a fully functional RTT service.
- To promote and facilitate the interworking of different RTT technologies.
- To act as a source of information about RTT and the standards.
- To encourage appropriate RTT developments and implementations including new services using RTT.
- To promote RTT also in combination with audio and video, which is called Total Conversation.
- Act as a driving force to ensure proper standardization and development of RTT in future networks and systems.
- Act as technical advisor for projects and organizations on RTT and Total Conversation.